- 3 year BA (Hons) Degree Course -
NEW FOR SEPTEMBER 2018! - Subject to Validation
This brand new course offers an exciting blend of art and science by focussing on the creation of artwork and assets for digital media and games. We will equip you with the skills required to create game and Virtuality Reality environments of the highest technical and aesthetic quality. The creative digital industries are crying out for versatile professionals with transferable technical and creative skills who can meet the challenges of this fast developing sector and this course will thoroughly prepare you for this.
You'll be creating games and virtual reality experiences in game engines populated with your own 2D and 3D assets to produce fully immersive interactive content.
This degree covers the basics of anatomical structures and the fundamentals of drawing can be applied to digital illustration and you'll learn how to accurately replicate organic and mechanical subjects in three dimensional form using industry standard software and hardware found throughout the Games and VFX industry. You will take your digital models into the real world and experiment with different mediums to produce physical versions of your work and employ traditional 2D and stop motion animation techniques to inspire and inform your 3D portfolio. In addition you will also develop an understanding of the physics of light and modelling real world systems whilst working on live briefs in our commercial development studio. You will learn how to sell your work and market yourself for employment or the freelance world.
+ Year 1
- GAMES THEORY - Learn the rules and models of conflict & cooperation.
- CONCEPT ART - Traditional drawing & painting techniques will inform and inspire your digital illustration & artwork using tools such as Adobe Illustrator.
- 2D - Use Photoshop and After Effects for producing stunning images UV texturing and composites.
- PRE-PRODUCTION - Planning and documenting the creative processes for production.
- ANIMATION - Harnessing tools such as Adobe Animate and After Effects to bring your 2d assets to life.
- 3D - Design and build fully rigged, game ready models in virtual environments for construction in the real world.
+ Year 2
- 3D ANIMATION - Harnessing tools such as Maya, 3D Max and Nuke to bring your 3D scenes to life.
- VIRTUAL LIGHTING & CAMERAS - Program advanced camera movements, and light your scenes professionally in UE4, Nuke and After Effects to achieve realism or a particular aesthetic that makes your product stand out.
- WORLD DESIGN - Design and develop your ideas into fully realised game levels and worlds for console, desktop and mobile gaming.
- AUDIO - Produce stunning 3D soundscapes for your games and VR using Logic and Audition.
- BLUEPRINT DEVELOPMENT -Explore the Physics, scripting and code for professional workflows to apply the rules and mechanics of your interactive experiences.
- GAME ENGINES - Build in UE4 and Unity to produce engaging immersive games and virtual reality experiences.
+ Year 3
- A.S.P. - Art, Science and Philosophy of making games. Classical and contextual studies of the aesthetics, origins, ethics and science behind digital art and video games.
- PORTFOLIO PROJECT - Your vast portfolio will allow you to apply the skills you have gained over 2 years to realise your game and VR ideas into a marketable product.
- PUBLICATION & MARKETING - Networking with industry professionals you will pitch and market your ideas, products and skillset to prospective employers giving you the inside edge when taking your next steps.
You'll be based in our Bristol development studio equipped with cutting edge equipment and software for all your design and production needs. Highlights include:
- E5 Xeon CPUs, 64GB RAM, 1080 GPUs PCs
- Oculus & HTC Development devices
- Augmented Reality Development devices
- iOS and Android Development devices
- Xbox One and PS4 Development machines
You will learn from tutors who are actively working in the industry, ensuring your learning is current and in line with contemporary industry practice.
We also offer an extensive guest lecture programme, with visits from some of the most cutting edge development studios, artists and engineers in the country that will inspire the creative power and self expression required to make unique and marketable content.
The Ultimate Experience
Throughout the course there are multiple opportunities for you to gain real world experience and develop your professional portfolio, including working within our in house commercial production studio. Here you will work on ‘live’ briefs commissioned by external clients with an expectation of professional standard production. You will work with students from our sister company dBs Music to create immersive sound and music for your game and VR worlds.
How to apply
Formal applications for this course are made through UCAS (University and Colleges Admissions Service). This includes mature and EU students. For advice on the application process or for more course details contact us here.
Alternatively you can start your initial application by hitting the button below, fill in your details and a member of our admissions team will be in touch.
Course code: GART
Institution code: P63
Campus name: Bristol
Entry Qualifications and fees
+ ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
UCAS Points: 112 Points from:
- Level 3 Diplomas
- Or an equivelent qualification
If applying from outside the UK please contact us to find out if we can accept your qualifications. Check the UCAS tariff tables to see how many points you have.
UK Applicants must have GCSE English Language at C/4 or above, or an equivalent qualfication such as Functional Skills Level 2.
Applicants who do not have English as their first language must have:
IELTS, minimum of 6.0 in each category (within the last 2 years) or an equivalent qualification.
If you do not hold the minimum entry requirements but can demonstrate aptitude, enthusiasm and motivation you will be considered on an individual basis. You may also be interested in our diploma courses, find out more HERE
+ FUNDING & COURSE COSTS
The tuition fees for the 2018/2019 academic year:
UK and EU full-time fees: £9,000 per year
Students on this course are also official students of Plymouth Marjon University, our validating university, and can apply to Student Finance for a tuition fee loan to cover the full cost of your course. There are also loans available to help you cover living costs too.
We understand that figuring out student finance can be a bit of a daunting prospect but we are here to help! If you get stuck or just want some friendly advice give us a call on 0333 344 5536.
Alternatively, visit gov.uk/student-finance for information and guidance on completing your application.